Programming is like a sport, the more you keep at it, the better you get. It takes a while to learn and you can not become a master programmer overnight. But, that does not mean that it is really tough either. All you need is a little patience.
Many have said that what is most important in order to be a master coder is a passion for computers. You have to really love computers in order to be patient enough. Being passionate is step number one. Here are 12 more steps that’ll get you started in your journey to being a code monkey.
1. Getting started: Before you do, make sure that you really want to do this. Once you’ve done that, a big part of your job is done. This is the first step and the easiest one.
2. Do not be intimidated: Computers can surprise you at any point of time, so do not be intimidate when you suddenly realise that you don’t know even half of what you thought you did. It happens to the best of us.
3. Make a move: You can move to Silicon Valley, where almost everyone around you is a programmer and there are tons of more jobs. But, if you don’t have that option, make sure that you interact with programmers regularly.
4. Books: Buy the best programming books, this is an extension of the earlier step. Interact with programmers, find out the best books and buy them all. Read them too of course.
5. Find a teacher: Again, an extension of the interaction step. When all else fails, you should always have someone who you can look up to as the best programmer in the world!
6. Object Oriented: This is the programming language that revolutionised computers. Coders code in object oriented languages and eventually, they start speaking in such a language too. Read books on OOP and get it.
7. Make your code public: Again, programming forums are very important. When you write a piece of code, you should make it public for others to see. That is how you can find out how it could have been better or what you have done wrong. Sometimes, a program runs perfectly even when it is wrong or redundant.
8. Use github: Version control is very important in the world we live in. Learn to use Github and you’ll have added something to your arsenal.
9. Have your way: This might be pushing it, but programming is like art. Hence, you have to make what you think is good and what you like. Write a code for yourself, it drives you to do well.
10. Keep it simple: Now how the hell can a good code be simple right? It’s easy, a well written piece of code is always easy to understand. The classes etc. are well named, which makes them easier to understand. In addition, comments can be used wherever necessary to explain what your code is doing.
11. Branch out: Spread your wings and branch out. Make sure you write many different types of codes. That’s the secret to being a great coder. Eventually, you’ll realise that they are all very useful and related in many ways.
12. Linux, learn it: At least a basic grasp of Linux and the command line is needed in order to survive in the programming world. There is no way around it. Make sure you learn Linux the best you can.
Now, we know we said that this will get you started, but frankly, this is all there is to it. After this, it’s practice and hunger that’ll make you perfect.